Several months ago I posted a to do checklist for changing a company’s name.Â Today I’m posting a to do list for movingÂ a blog from a “free” service onto your own domain.
I’m still tweaking the blog with a giant to do list.Â Although I’ve moved most of the posts from my blogger account of www.brandandmarket.blogspot.com onto www.brandandmarket.com as well as some of my blog roll, there is still tons to do before I’m really in business with the refresh.Â Here’s my to do list:
- Figure out what software or platform you want to use.Â Judging from all the research I did, the choice was between WordPress and TypePad.Â WordPress won, but I think TypePad would be fine too.Â
- Select a host.Â Try to find one that plays well with the software you’re going to use. WordPress suggests several hosting companies that makes the job easier.
- Select the domain.Â Buy it.Â
- Set up a free domain at wordpress.com and first move the blogspot blog to there.Â Then move it to your new domain.
- Keep reading the posts about 1-2-3 how to move the blog. Lorelle of the Blog Herald has a very helpful one with lots of links
- Only a few of my photos are hosted on Flickr, so I have a lot of work still to do to move the photos from blogger
- Change all the internal links from pointing to the blogspot blog to the domain blog
- Find the right theme (not a template like in Blogger, WordPress calls it a theme) I keep downloading versions, but I’ll probably end up creating my own, sooner or later.
- Notify all my blogging buddies of the new address
- Get all the categories straighten around
- Delete the description from the blogger footer that ended up in every post
- Upload the new header
- Keep reading other blogs posts of what they did to make the move smooth
- Blog, blog, blog — oh yeah!Â Don’t forget to write some posts!
It’s been a fun, but tortureous experience — mostly because I’m not patient.Â I expect myself to know everything all at once.Â And then get it all done at once!!