Are you an author who has spent hours and hours writing a book? Then editing it? And finding a publisher? Maybe you thought the work was done when you finally got it printed, but now you know, the work of promoting and selling your book has just begun.
Here are 7 ways to grab people’s attention, spread the word and promote your book ONLINE:
1) Make a webpage of your book. Be sure you have a buy now button. If you haven’t set up a merchant account, you can use Google Checkout or Paypal to help you with the transaction.
2) Ask for quotes from people who will influence your readers. Put those quotes on the back cover of your book and on your webpage. Here’s an example of that for the Back to Basics by Deborah Chaddock Brown (By the way, this a great “how to” marketing book that I had the privilege to read before it was published and give her a quote.)
3) Make a video and post it on YouTube with a Link to your web page. This video, while very funny and clever, forgot to put the website address at the end, so I’ll give it to you now. By the way, I bet this becomes a best seller. Great timing for a book like this!! The Good Book The Credit Card Funeral
4) Send a email to everyone on your email newsletter list to tell them to watch the video. (Don’t have a enewsletter list yet? Time to start building one!) Here are 12 ways to build an email newsletter mailing list.
5) Get a Twitter account for the book and send “tweet” teasers. You can use some of the twitter applications to find people who “microblog” about your subject matter and send them a “direct” tweet with a shortened hyperlink to your page. Like all social media, it’s best to build a relationship first… no one wants direct junk tweets any more than anyone wants junk spam email. Work to build a reputation on Twitter for your subject matter. Here’s a link to FLYLady’s Tweet about the video shown above. I think you’ll have to have a Twitter account to be able to open/read it.
6) Write an electronic press release. Publicity Hound Joan Stewart is the go-to-person for learning about press release writing and she has a great way to write press releases for the electronic media. Her free email tutorial “Ways to Write Powerful Press Releases,” spends an entire week on search engine optimization. Check out her November 2008 post of 26 ways to market an ebook for those authors who know how to do it in the “real” world, but are a little bit baffled by the whole online experience.
7) Hold an on line book launch party with prizes! In February 2008 Tammy Lenski had a great way to build the buzz with her online book launch virtual party for her new mediation book. She has a great launch strategy for marketing a book on line.
Other posts about promoting your book online:
Chris Brogan: Promoting Your Book Online – Oct 2008 I met Chris at SOBCon ’08 in Chicago. If you don’t subscribe to his blog, now is the time to click the chicklet to get his RSS feed.
What am I forgetting?? Please comment below and let me know of other great links to help authors who are learning the whole web world of book promotion…