When is a Nissan, not a Nissan? When it’s a Chrysler…
Yesterday’s article in the Wall Street Journal has rebranding car story about Nissan and Chrysler teaming up to offer a midsize car. It was interesting to me on several levels:
- I’ve test driven just about all the cars the article talks about, even with Nissan 350z horsepower mods
- I currently drive the best selling car
- I almost bought the 4th best selling car
- I can’t imagine buying those last two
- It’s going to take a lot of marketing and branding to pull this off…
Seems like people research the cars they buy a lot more than say a computer. Like who actually makes it, regardless of the brand name on the hood ornament. Maybe I’m wrong, but won’t people actually know that it’s actually a Nissan even though it’s called a Chrysler? Will a great car be able to overcome a bad brand?
Good idea or bad idea… what’s your thought?